Friday, December 4, 2009

We Haven't Had Enough Of The Alkaline Trio

Hey Everyone!
Today I'd like to share with you all a band that I really enjoy. I've been a fan of this trio ever since I first discovered their album Good Mourning in a bin at a local used CD shop. I used to do this a couple times a month... take a few bucks downtown and see how far I could stretch it, picking up CDs that caught my eye. This 2003 album just happened to be one of them, and since the first playback, I have been hooked on the Alkaline Trio. 


Founding member (the only one currently still in ALK3), Matt Skiba formed the band in Illinois back in 1996. After a rocky startup and a few line up changes, the group finally found a working formula to build on. Strange dark lyrics, punk style chords with a little flare and some simple theatrics are a definite recipe for success. They have currently released six studio albums with a seventh slated for a february 2010 release. Their album Crimson is often said to be the one that broke them into the mainstream, containing several ambitious and oddly ambiguous tracks that drew a lot of new fans to the punk rock trio. 

As a crucial foundation block of the thriving Chicago punk scene, this band has worked hard to earn a place at the top. Each of the tree members Matt Skiba, Dan Andriano and Derek Grant, have put work into side projects and helped to support other members of the community through touring, friendships and collaborations.

I had the opportunity to see them on tour a while back, opening for other Chicago natives, Rise Against and honestly I was by NO MEANS disappointed. Their set was great, the sound was fantastic and I was left wishing they were playing more than a 40min opening slot. I highly recommend checking out their music, and if you enjoy it, see them on tour. I'm sure with a new album in the works, a tour is not far from sight.


DISCOGRAPHY:

Goddamnit (1998)



Maybe I'll Catch Fire (2000)



From Here To Infirmary (2001)



Good Mourning (2003)


Crimson (2005) 


Agony and Irony (2008)



This Addiction (Unreleased, Due Feb.2010)

TRACKS TO CHECK OUT:

So what do you think of these guys? A little different, so take from it what you will but I hope you enjoy it!
Rock On,
- Girl At The Rock Show


Song of the Day: You've Made Us Conscious by The Audition... they have toured with the Alkaline Trio, another Chicago based band. Just goes to show how interconnected and friendly the Chicago music scene can be if you know how to become part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment