Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Shopping List For My Grandpa: The Results

Hey Everyone!
So if you have been keeping up, my Grandfather and I recently recently ran a small experiment. After reading my blog, he suggested that I come up with a list of 3 recommendations for him. He would buy the three albums, listen to them, and let me know what he thought. Well, we have our answer as to how well this little experiment worked.

First off, he mentioned that he had a very bad impression of what "rock" music is. He said it brought to mind loud, mosh pits, wailing guitars and high pitched vocals. I kind of figured this, and one goal I had in these suggestions was to show another end of the spectrum. Sure, rock music does typically envelope these ideas... but there are other forms of the genre that are softer, more mellow. Thats why I chose these albums, to show that. Below, I will list the three albums and tell you what my Grandpa had to say about each one!



1) Something Corporate's "North"
"A bit too much of a downer for my taste" said my Grandpa haha. But he admits that he did enjoy the prominence of the piano which overpowers the traditional lead guitar. The album is a bit angsty, I admit. However, I still love it. I think I chose it more for the songs as pieces, not the album as a whole. I did recommend Andrew's side project- Jacks Mannequin for some more upbeat music. Sure, Glass Passenger is about the struggles of Cancer... but its so hopeful! Thats the album that gets me up in the morning haha



2) Butch Walker's "Letters"
This was his favorite, as I suspected haha. My Grandpa is a big fan of musicals, and he actually ended up suggesting that Butch write his own musical! I think thats a fantastic idea, he should really think that over. He said, "His style and the genres of rock he plays seem to me to be perfectly suited to Broadway. He tells stories with simplicity and feeling. The music, soft and hard rock, seem to fit the lyrics like a glove". Couldnt have said it better myself! I'd LOVE to see a Butch Walker musical... I'm sure it would be beautiful.



3) Panic At The Disco's "Pretty. Odd."
He called this one "very pleasant". He mentioned how Folkin Around plays on the traditional concepts of country music. Oddly enough, I have to admit its one of my favorites on the album and yet, I am not a country fan in the least bit. Its just something I often cannot relate to. But this song, so simple in its construction, is just beautiful and full of emotion. Lines like "You've never been so divine in accepting your defeat, And I've never been more scared to be alone. If love is not enough to put my enemies to sleep, Then I'm putting out the lantern, Find your own way back home" are just stunning. Side Note: Grandpa emailed me again to let me know that he enjoyed this album so much that the volume control slipped away for a bit... he almost missed the repairman at the door who mentioned that he was "really rocking out" haha. I love it!

So thats that! Those are the results. I have to say, I think I did an alright job... I did what I set out to do, broaden the idea of rock music for my Grandpa, make him realize that its not all about mosh pits, anger and violence. Rock is a very broad, encompassing genre. There is a home for everything, and thats perhaps what sparked my love affair with it. Its a place I feel I belong, and I want others to see through my passion, that they too can belong. Be it indie, techno, classic, metal, goth, punk... there is always a style for you with a rock edge. I think I learned a lot about my Grandpa through this experiment, as much as it was originally intended to be the reverse. We learned from each other and thats perhaps the best result of this. Thanks for checking it out, maybe I'll do this again sometime with a new subject! It's kind of fun to help other people find new music :)

If you had the chance to pick music for someone in your life, who would it be and why?
What would you hope to take away from the experience?
Rock On!
- Girl At The Rock Show

No comments:

Post a Comment