Friday, October 16, 2009

On The Radar: The Young Veins

Hey Everyone!
Hope the week treated you well, I know I'm glad its the weekend! Between essays and studying for exams, this has been the longest week of my life haha. I've spent my day so far making up for it... horror movies, junk food, video games, basically undoing the stress on my brain by numbing it! if you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it! Anyways, on with today's blog!

Today I'd like to talk about a band I'm curious about. Now, I say I'm "curious" because they haven't released much, but I see a lot of potential and am interested in seeing how the final product turns out. The band is called The Young Veins and contains members that some of you may be familiar with... Ryan Ross and Jon Walker (ex Panic At The Disco members). It also features guest work from Eric Ronick and Than Luu (Black Gold), Alex Greenwald (Phantom Planet), and  Jason Boesel (Rilo Kiley and Conor Oberst). With a line up like that how could you go wrong? 

Now, I know a lot of you are probably thinking "ew, Panic At The Disco, so high school!"... but I say, lets give them a shot. These guys signed a deal when they were young (about sixteen), subjecting them to a lot of criticism as they experimented with their sound. Now having disbanded (to an extent anyways), the members have gone in their own solid directions. For guys in their early twenties, I think they've done a great job so far. 

The Young Veins play slightly off the Pretty Odd sound, combining a more 60s hippy-rock vibe with a raw indie vibe. The sound (thus far) pushes away from the complex, overly polished music of their old band. I think I like it because it reminds me of an old vinyl record, actually. While Ross' voice doesn't quite stand out the way young, former band mate Brendon Urie's did with nearly perfect tone and exemplary range, he still brings his own style to the performance and does a good job.

Anyways, I think this group has a lot of potential to do well and make great, catchy music. Its simple, but timeless- reminds me of lazy summer afternoons. They are seasoned musicians with a lot of ambition left, so give it a listen and try to forget that they were once responsible for this haha. Happy listening!



Any bands you're keeping an eye on lately? Let me know! Enjoy the weekend!
Rock On!
- Girl At The Rock Show

No comments:

Post a Comment