Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Weezer's New Album Hits Shelves!

Hey Everyone!
  So its a tuesday once again, and I find myself thinking of all the new releases that have hit the shelves this week. I have to say, I've been curious about this one for a while. Weezer's latest album Raditude was officially released today, and there are a lot of conflicting reviews out there. I'm curious to know what you all think, if anyone out there is a Weezer fan.
I am a big fan of Weezer. Their older music was an essential part of my high school playlist. El Schorcho, Say It Ain't So, Undone, and Buddy Holly were and still are fixtures in my music listening and bad karaoke repertoires. I remember I knew some guys who played shows downtown, they would always play a cover of El Schorcho and my friends and I would swarm to the front of the stage singing and dancing the whole way. The point is, their music has always been important to me.

Lately though, its just not striking the same chords it once did. Their last couple albums have been slightly disappointing to me. Filled with catchy songs as always, there was just something lacking. I still dont think I could put my finger on it if I tried. The classic and sarcastic social mockery is still very evident in songs like Beverly Hills. The awkward love song still exists in Automatic. And the Weezer we know and love is still very much alive in songs like Pork & Beans and We Are All On Drugs. The band has undeniably changed over the years, but their quirky unique outlook on song writing has never truly faded. To the untrained eyes and ears, everything is there... but to the fans, you probably know what I mean when I say the spark is not there. 

All of this aside, I think I'm going to avoid the press reviews until I've heard the album myself. Weezer is a great band with a lot of talent. As a long time fan I feel it my duty to give this album a shot. Have any of you heard this album? What are your thoughts? Let me know, in the mean time I plan to add it to my collection by the end of the week. Maybe I'll let you know what I think then! (Side note: Cant hurt that Butch Walker helped produce several tracks on the album either)

Rock On!
- Girl At The Rock Show

 Song of the Day: Buddy Holly by Weezer... an oldie but a definite goodie. This is one of my favorite tracks by them, and not to mention the video is an absolute classic. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment